Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Flashback: 2017 Nominee Predictions

NOTE: This is a series that I will be posting in the next few weeks, talking about my past nominee picks. This was from two summers ago (2016), probably around August. Some of these acts did make the ballot, and Pearl Jam and 2Pac were both first-ballot inductees. Nina Simone, Bon Jovi and the Cars would get inducted in 2018. 



First balloters:

PEARL JAM - I'm sure everyone will have the same ideas and reasons why for this one, so I'll just put this in my own words: Pearl Jam is simply an iconic 90s band. I grew up listening to their music, and to me their first three albums are classic. The critics agree, and so do the fans. They continued to make great music even though the grunge subgenre faded and they rock on to the present day. They are for sure a shoo-in.

2PAC - Most of us know that 2Pac was the guy who had the most impact on gangsta-rap, and I guess he still does. For all I know, maybe he still releases albums(?). His death at the early age of 26 propelled him to iconic status. I didn't grow up listening to his music, but my classmates bought his albums. Each time his new CD (dead or alive) would drop, it was like an event. They paid attention to the lyrics, and treated his music like philosophy. I can sense that millions of young teens were the same way. Do I think he will get in right away? No. But I do think he will at least make the board.

Previously nominated:

JANET JACKSON - She really hasn't stood out that much in 2016, except for her touring and postponing dates. I would never think her and Pearl Jam would be headlining an induction ceremony together, but I've seen weirder things happen. Now that she's on the board, keep putting Janet on the list until its her time for induction.

THE SPINNERS - Did you know that the Spinners are still touring? For real. War is too, and they almost made my predictions ballot. But the Spinners...well, they're getting up there. I don't even know any original members that are still with them, or with us. And let's be honest, its actually getting annoying seeing the Spinners and War on the ballot. Just let 'em in.

THE ZOMBIES - I've come to realize the harsh reality that many 50's and 60's acts are becoming very scarce for Rock Hall consideration. And this is not about personal taste: I dig Herman's Hermits and the Turtles, but I don't think they're that RRHOF-worthy, or maybe Brook Benton. I hope it does happen sometime. Clearly the NomCom is making more way for 70's, 80's and now 90's acts. And that's not a problem at all, except for the situation where that band's influence from the 60's is not in the HOF. That's where there is trouble. I'd say the Zombies is the closest to any 60's group that will be nominated.

NINE INCH NAILS - I'm getting this feeling that Trent (and I guess, the backup crew) will be nominated continuously until induction. And I'm fine with that!

KRAFTWERK - Arguably in my opinion, the most important act not in the HOF as far as influence.

THE CARS - I am confident that the NomCom will give them another go.

MC5 - I'm just gonna go with everyone else's guess about this one. Maybe Tom Morello WILL try to get them in.

BON JOVI - It's a mystery to me that Bon Jovi has waited long enough to get in, even though they've only been nominated once. My image of Jon Bon Jovi is him jamming with several HOFers, and usually if there's a big event (like charity), he's usually there. I don't think him and his band will have any trouble getting in soon. Period. I've been waiting for him (or them) to get nominated and inducted the last 3 years. I'm positive that if Bon Jovi is on the ballot this year, they'll get in right away, regardless of their competition. Face it, they're seen as legends and icons. They still sell out arenas. Richie and Jon would definitely show up to the ceremony. On top of that, they would represent the hard-rock genre very well. They would be a great headliner, next to Pearl Jam. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bon Jovi may have performed with Eddie Vedder at some point. I say, get them out of the way please. And thank you.


Never before nominated:

DIONNE WARWICK - My thing about the divas is: before they put in Whitney or Mariah, why not put in the originals first? I broke this one down to either Cher or Dionne Warwick. Sure, Dionne probably would not be classified as a 'diva'. But hey, she was a hitmaker and a great singer who had a long run. And, she should get in before her cousin, Whitney. What would be extremely great would be if Dionne was inducted the same time as Hal David and Burt Bacharach. As far as I know, they helped build each other's careers. I can dream, can I?

ARTHUR BROWN - Brown may not be the "God of Hell Fire", but he's a totally left-field pick. I look at it as over the years sometimes an act that no one would think of would appear on a ballot. Last year it was Los Lobos and the JB's. For some reason, I had Arthur Brown on my mind on a recent day. Then I looked at his Wikipedia page, and it all came down to this: despite of Brown's status as a one-hit wonder, he still has a legacy. He was one of the first 'shock-rockers', and if Pete Townshend, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne had influence in the Nominating Committee, Brown would be right there on the ballot. Again, this one's just a random guess.

THE GUESS WHO - This is probably the second or third year in a row I've put them on my predictions list. Call them classic rock, Canadian rock, whatever. Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs in 'Almost Famous': "The Doors? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet. Give me the Guess Who! They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic!"

STEVIE NICKS - I've talked about her many times on this site about why I believe Ms. Nicks would be great as a solo act inductee. It's either her, Diana Ross or Tina Turner who could be the first female "Clyde McPhatter".

NINA SIMONE - Pretty much the same reason why she's on other people's predictions lists. She's just way overdue, even in death.

Others I've considered putting on my list: Glen Campbell, War, Cher, Willie Nelson, The Cure

So there you have it. This usually helps cure my 'end of summer blues', giving me something to look forward to in compiling this list. I do enjoy reading and comparing with everyone else's list on this site. However, at the same time, sometimes I feel like "Whatever...", when I do these lists. Look, I'll be the 1000th person to complain and moan about the Rock Hall - they're getting to the point where the institution is not going to be taken seriously for awhile. I just feel now that there is way too much of a backlog of artists that are not in. Several genres and many subgenres all have their share of being misrepresented, with some exceptions. Don't get me wrong, everyone that is in the Hall is deserving in some way. And I'm glad that the last few years the NomCom has paid more attention to groups that have been shunned (KISS, Rush, Chicago, etc.). But there's still quite a backlog. Starting with the 1950s, to the British Invasion, to Soul, the Country crossovers, New Wave, electronica, the list goes on and on. These are just many periods of time and genres that I think the Hall should catch up on. Did I mention the shortage of women? (By the way, I predict this year the NomCom will be laid back, gender-wise, which is why I put four women on my list) Its no wonder the Hall's politics continues to confuse people. One metalhead would wonder why Motorhead isn't in, or a longtime record collector hobbyist would question why this particular important band is not in the Hall.

In the end, it's us (the music fans and lovers) that keeps coming back. Kind of like being loyal to a sports team. We like to predict who will be the 'chosen few' who will be enshrined next Spring. Let's hope the Rock Hall will live up to its name for a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment