Monday, September 2, 2019

Flashback: 2015 Nominee Predictions

Thought I would post another "flashback" of what my predictions were for the 2015 Rock Hall Class, while I'm still at work trying to write up my list for the 2020 class (sometime in the next 2 weeks!).

             -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my original post, as I put it on the 2015 Nominations page on FRL, exactly 5 years ago on this day:

Alright...here it is, my 15 picks of who I believe will be nominated for 2015 Induction Ceremony. When I first drew up this list a month ago, I had 25 acts listed. Believe me, it was hard to whittle them down to 15.

The 'already-nominated before':

Bon Jovi
The Cure
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
The Marvelettes
Lou Reed
The Zombies

The new ones:

The Cars - this is the 3rd yr in a row I put them on my nominations list. Their time has come.

Nick Drake - I've put him on noms list in the past, and like all the others I believe he should've been in a long time ago. We'll see how his influence is brought up.

The Guess Who - I've been really into this band lately, listening to their stuff on Spotify. I have always really dug their music, and I know a lot of people just look at them as another 'classic rock radio act', but its time to look outside the box. Besides Neil Young, they truly opened doors for Canadian rockers.

Jane's Addiction - Another band I'm putting on my list for the 3rd yr in a row. Obvious reasons.

Nine Inch Nails - see paragraphs below

Roxy Music - I've said it before but I'm more than surprised Roxy Music hasn't made a ballot yet since Rolling Stone put most of their albums on their Top 500 list.

Huey 'Piano" Smith and the Clowns - They're gonna need someone to represent the 50s this year. Besides Link Wray, they'll need the New Orleans group in sometime. Huey Smith is still living today, and it would be nice that someone like him can enjoy the appreciation of his work getting recognized that late in life.

You've probably noticed this is mostly leaning towards 70s and 80s acts. I wish it weren't that way, since most of the recent nomination ballots nearly look like the 50s and 60s never existed. I do hope more 'forgotten but influential and notable' acts do get another shot for next year. This was next to what I consider realistic. There are a few that I believe are a mystery as to why they're not in the HOF yet, such as Bon Jovi (because of his iconic status and his connections to other HOFers), The Cure and Kraftwerk (both highly influential), Lou Reed (why go there), LL Cool J (what I believe the next rap/hip-hop act to get in, despite 'Accidental Racist').

As far as first-eligible balloters, I believe Nine Inch Nails is the only one who stands a chance. I already know 95% of you put Green Day on yours, but I honestly don't think they won't be put on the list until next year (but you never know...). Sure, their breakthrough year was '94 and without doubt they've totally influenced the American punk scene the last 20 years. There's just a part of me that thinks the HOF won't consider '89 as their first eligible year since they only put out a little-known EP that year. I'm already aware I've started a firestorm...

And lastly, as for the supposed 'hard rock-bias', I do hope Deep Purple and some prog-rock and heavy bands get a chance. Even Motley Crue! But realistically, I don't see Vince & Co. getting in anytime soon :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As it turns out, I completely lost the argument on Green Day. Several FRL visitors made comments that disagreed and that was where I was totally wrong. But I did predict Green Day to get in, right when they first were nominated.

I also only made 14 predictions, not 15 as I stated above. I'm not sure why?

Of all of my predictions, six were eventually inducted (The Cure, The Cars, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Bon Jovi and the Zombies). Some would keep getting nominated (LL Cool J and Kraftwerk). While some never have been nominated (Huey Piano Smith, the Guess Who and Nick Drake).

Of the list I made exactly five years ago, only 3 made the actual Nominations list. That would lead me to get "better educated" on how the NomCom thinks, and who plays a key role in what.






No comments:

Post a Comment